The SPCA St. John’s is always looking for foster homes for animals not quite ready for adoption
We also occasionally need homes for the following:
- cats/dogs undergoing medical treatment
- cats/dogs needing a break from shelter life
- cats/dogs awaiting or recovering from surgery
- cats/dogs recovering from illness
- cats/dogs needing extra socialization before going up for adoption
- palliative care
When you foster with us, all supplies will be provided.
A typical foster placement lasts from 2 to 8 weeks, depending on the foster home’s availability. Please be prepared to regularly bring your animal back to our Adoption Resource Centre for medical check-ups during the foster period.
To foster with us, you will need:
- To be 18 years old or older
- Reliable transportation to bring your animal for vet checkups at our Adoption & Resource Centre on RCAF Road, and to transport your animal to the CBS Animal Hospital or Veterinary Specialty Centre in the event of an emergency
- A working home phone or cell phone
- Regular email access
- PLEASE NOTE THAT FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY, WE DO NOT PUT FOSTER ANIMALS IN HOMES WHERE THERE IS A HUMAN PREGNANCY IN PROGRESS
Steps to becoming an SPCA St. John’s Foster Family:
- Complete our online application.
- Have an interview/information session with a Foster Program Representative.
- Take home your first animal!
We look forward to having you on our team!
Questions? Email [email protected] or phone (709) 726-0301 ext. 101