Frequently Asked Questions

Have a question not answered here?

I live in St. John’s. Can I apply for the SNAP program?

Please first apply to the St. John’s municipally-funded program. If you don’t qualify for their program, please get in touch with us to see if we can help.

Who qualifies for the SNAP program?

Our program is geared towards people in financial need who live on the Avalon Peninsula outside of St. John’s. Most of our clients have incomes of less than $25,000. If you don’t fit into this category, please contact us and explain your situation to see if we can help.

Where do your spay & neuter surgeries take place?

At the CBS Animal Hospital in Manuels. However, we handle all bookings and inquires at our Adoptions & Resource Centre.

Shouldn’t a female pet have one litter first before she is spayed?

No. This is a myth. There are no proven health benefits of having one or more litters.

When should an animal be spayed/neutered?

Cats and dogs can get pregnant as young as 5-6 months. Most veterinarians will spay/neuter animals at that age. We recommend getting your pet spayed as close to that age as possible. Worried about costs? Please see our Spay & Neuter Assistance Program. Or consider adopting an SPCA St. John’s pet – they’re all spayed/neutered!

Will spaying or neutering change my pet’s personality?

Usually not. Females barely change at all; males become less aggressive. Because spayed/neutered pets do not experience sexual anxiety, they’re calmer than unsterilized pets – and are more likely to stay indoors. Pets in multiple-animal homes are more likely to get along if they’re spayed/neutered.

Where can I report a case of animal cruelty?

At this time, the SPCA St. John’s is not authorized to handle cases of animal cruelty, abuse or neglect. Please phone the RNC or RCMP.

If I find a baby or injured wild animal, how can I best care for it?

The best thing to do is actually to leave it where it is. That might sound callous, but by removing the animal from its natural habitat, you’re actually diminishing its ability to survive in the wild should it be returned. Please call — or your nearest Humane Services for further instructions.

Who should I call with questions about wildlife?

Provincial Wildlife Services

For moose, caribou, otters, birds (non-seabirds), foxes, rabbits and other related animals
(709) 729-4180
(709) 685-7273 (after hours)

Department of Fisheries & Oceans

For seals, whales, dolphins and other marine mammals, or fish
(709) 772-5044

Canadian Wildlife Services

For seabirds (ducks, geese, gulls, puffins, etc.)
(709) 772-5489

There is an injured bird in my neighbourhood. Can you help?

Unfortunately, no. We currently only assist cats and dogs. Please phone Provincial Wildlife Services at (709) 729-4180 for advice.

Can I bring a stray animal to you?

We do accept animals from areas without municipally-funded animal control. Please phone us to let us know you’d like to bring an animal in so that we can arrange space for them.